Educational Forums for Parents, Families, Guardians and Others
LEO works to reach out to parents, their children and extended family members to provide information and education on a wide range of topics that are relevant to the I/DD community. Forums are held about once a quarter that host guest speakers on issues such as housing, guardianships, special needs trusts and employment to name a few. We are actively seeking opportunities to empower our community through educational programs. As fresh topics present themselves, LEO will be there as a trusted educational resource partner.
LEO forums and events are free. They also provide the opportunity for parents to network with other parents, as well as caregivers and educators. Keep an eye on our Upcoming Events page for the next forum.
Here are some of the programs we have presented in the community:
- Positive interactions with law enforcement officers
- Healthy lifestyles
- Technology as a tool for independent living
- Housing Options
- Preparing for employment
- Person Centered Planning
- Recreation opportunities
- Dr. Jean Edwards, from Portland State University,—Social-Sexual Training
- Shirley Paceley, MA from the Blue Tower Training, Decatur, Illinois, speaking on how to stay safe
- Marsha Quinn, Community Outreach Manager for Encompass (EncompassNW.org) led a discussion on when and what parents or guardians must do.